It was sleet and rain today as I ran around the park. I thought I had found a shelter under a tree to draw but there was plenty rain getting through. I use water proof ink in my Parallel Pen, even so the page was soon soaked. Ink transferred to the opposite side in a Rorschach Inkblot meets Chinese Brush Painting effect when I closed the sketchbook to get home and dry out.
It felt kinda nice to lose control over what I was drawing. And it felt nice to get warm and dry out at home too.
February the 1st is international Hourly Comic Day where creatives document their day hour by hour and post it online with the hashtag #HourlyComicDay. This is my fourth year of attempting an hourly comic and I loath it but still feel compelled to participate. I justify the pain in that I have a history of doing diary comics and it's the perfect excuse to dip my toes back in the personal documentation pool. I also get a fairly good response from social media which breaks the solitary loneliness of the work at home illustrator.
I hate it because I end up drawing drawings of me drawing because that's what I was doing at that particular hour later on, which I personally find a bit boring. After the 2pm instalment I was catching up with the hourly comic, answering emails, doing a bit of planing on a small illustration project. and reading a script for another more involved planned project. Necessary behind the scenes type endeavours that makes the stuff 'up front' work.
Have spent the last few days tweaking an illustrated map of Wakefield. It was commissioned by Walton Herbs as part of their PR for the new year. I hand drew all the elements separately (Map, Frame, Herbs, Buildings etc) then assembled them in Photoshop which made things a lot easier than hand drawing the thing in one go. One of the biggest challenges when making a hand drawn map is scale. In reality the selected area that the brief stated would fit portrait proportions better but that would also mean big areas of unrelated detail, important 'microscopic' roads and a whole lot of time drawing unnecessary details. My job was to balance the clients wishes with the budget and edit the image into something visually pleasing in a landscape format. I used Google Maps as my starting reference point for the Wakefield area, roughing out the design with a brush pen to get bold lines. In Photoshop I scaled, skewed and distorted the map into a shape I was happy with (that's where the …