Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Father Clifford Design Doodles


Character doodles for the role of Father Clifford, one of Charles Waterton's early mentors at Stonyhurst College 1796 (ish). The drawing on the left seems a bit rakish so I'm going with the one on the right, he's a bit more fatherly and willing to help the distracted young Waterton find his true calling.


As I was penciling Father Clifford's first appearance, he was coming across as young and swarthy. The trendy new teacher in the school staff room and looking like a villain which is the opposite of what his character in Waterton's story is meant to be.


I played around, the only direction I had was '...a bit Derek Jacobi looking'. The blackness of the pencil and brush marks in his vigorously coiffed hair make him look younger where what he needs is a bit more shorter grey/white to signify his age a bit more. Which is why Top Right works for me.

No comments: