Saturday, 6 July 2013

Work in Progress





Drawing with a fresh bottle of ink and a new Rolinx mapping pen. Perhaps the two most temperamental things to draw with I have found in the history of things to do with drawing. The pen nib is scratchy and for most purposes disposable and the ink is thick and clumpy and doesn't flow well on hot summer days. But when they work they work brilliantly. Lines are thin and crisp and the ink is dense and responds well to the nib and to cross-hatching.

I am working on Muji sketchbook paper which seemed to be fairly robust and I used it for the Civic Society pages which I did last October, after a few pages in I noticed that various indian inks would bleed into the paper where as the FW Acrylic ink did not. The scratchy nib can produce a variety of line widths and is responsive to freehand drawing.

There's a saying that goes something like 'it doesn't matter what an artist uses, they will always make something good with what they have', then cave paintings are displayed and pointed at as an example with a lot of 'ohhhhs' and 'arhhhhs'. I do draw differently when I use a brush, or a pen or a pencil or the computer.When your chosen materials behave without you having to struggle, that's when it becomes greater than the individual items and that's when the drawing and writing flow.


No comments: