Friday, 26 July 2013

The Green Door


This is a test piece for A New Wakefield Mythology project, a mix of Wakefield architecture and imagination. There's a door on Westgate near the train station that I walk past and every time I think of the hidden tunnels that hide behind it. Of course, the tunnels may not exist and it might just be a lock up with a few plastic chairs in here, but there's always the chance that behind that ancient frontage there is a gateway to something magical. Imagination does that.

This is a test piece and I was feeling my way to how detailed it should be. Hopefully it will be enlarged for the intended exhibition and joined by another nine images that go into creating a new myth that Wakefield is... well I think I have said enough about that bit. There needs to be a few surprises left.


Originally drawn with dip pen and ink with a grey ink wash over the top and then scanned in to and messed about with in Photoshop.


I want to create atmosphere and enough detail to trigger the viewers imagination, but I don't want to be over descriptive. I want the viewer to be able to come up with their own version of events. There needs to be more sense of space and location maybe, to make it feel more every day-ish? A bit more like the original photo I took.


No comments: