Thursday, 15 November 2012

Bit of an update to that last post...

Detail showing the stone dragon on the Monkey building


My friend Jan had mentioned in a comment about spotting dragons on the Monkey* building. Yes I had potted one but it was a bit difficult to make out with my eyes. I did the above drawing from a close up from one of my reference photos, and even then it's got a lot of guess work in it's make up.

I like these stony gargoyle additions, who ever commissioned the building wanted to show off their wealth and standing in the community but why the fascination for decorating buildings with fantasy animals? Unless it's not  a dragon but a dog, a dog would be a bit boring, dragons on the other hand are fiery and there to protect and show power and are part of a bigger mythology. So there, I have answered my own question.

* Please excuse the term Monkey building, I did research into trying to find out the buildings name but the closest I got to was 21 Bull Ring, the internet is focused on businesses that run from there.

No comments: