Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Drawing Over Photographs

Where it starts, note book with page layouts.
I am doing another Wakefield diary page which involves a bit of architecture drawing on a blustery day. I tried drawing the buildings freehand but couldn't do them justice. I had taken reference photos and thought about why I was trying to reinvent the wheel image wise, I could spend the rest of the week trying to get this page right when really, all I want to do is get outside working on the next page.

I thought about printing the photo off at the size I wanted and then tracing it onto watercolour paper using a light box. This is a similar although slightly different way, upping the contrast of the photo in Photoshop and printing it out in a light blue colour. Light enough to take ink and watercolour over the top.

Low opacity photograph printed blue scale onto watercolour paper, ink applied over the top.

What I like about this approach is the way it blocks in areas, giving you a silhouette to work to for accuracy and key points but allows you to still create a fairly hand drawn image over the top. You still have to probe with your mind and eyes to find where the line goes, like drawing from life really.

No comments: