Mrs Ma Page One Process
1) Starts with a Ben Haggarty script.
2) Page thumbnails and layout, very rough but becoming aware of the amount of text needed in each panel.
3) Pencil art drawn on scraps of paper at A3 size, scanned and arranged into a 300dpi A4 page using Photoshop.
4) Next is lettering, this is important so I don’t waste time colouring up a patch that then has a great big speech bubble plonked over the top of it.
5) Sepia colour layer with highlights and shadows painted in using the Dodge and Burn tools.
6) Using the Lasso selection tool I select areas and use the Hue/Saturation slider to get colours into the panels. Ideally this should be done all in one go, flesh, Mrs Ma Blue tunic etc, that does get really boring so I tend to work on it panel by panel.
7) Tweak areas with Burn and Dodge tools.
8) Experiment with effects. Exported the art layer into a free program called paint.net and applied a photo filter I like called Soften Portrait, then imported that layer back into Photoshop on a separate layer. Applied Overlay to the Layer then erased areas with a low opacity Eraser to keep some of the subtle details from being lost.
9) The finished colour page with tweaks and editor and writer editorial changes to make everything work on the page.
Mrs Ma and the Dumplings can be seen in The Phoenix Comic #15