Thursday, 20 January 2011

The Rabigoogbegone: The Art of Backing Up Illustrations


Illustration 29B

I have been busy the last few days colouring up the Rabigoodbegone illustrations for Ben Haggarty. All the biro line work is done and scanned in and I am now methodically working my way through the pile, colouring the drawings which are to be printed out at A3 Size. There’s 30+ illustrations for the project, so I am now very glad that the computer I was using before Christmas decide to give it’s last gasp, and forced me into buying something a bit more… substantial (4G RAM).

I have also updated my Computer Back Up Plan. There has been so much digital artwork going through 'Welding Industries' of late, that I was having waking nightmares of computer crashes and  losing illustration work. I own a clunking big External Hard Drive which to operate has to be plugged in and powered up, which was always a bit frustrating to do. I invested in a neat little Seagate FreeAgent Go external hard drive which is the size of a Moleskine Diary and comes with software which makes backing up a lot less stressful, you just point it towards the folders you want copied and, touch wood, it does what it is designed to do. So that is two external hardrive back ups and I am still burning projects to Dvd as a Third and hopefully crash proof back up plan.

Above is part of a biro drawing coloured quickly with a digital overlay. The finished drawing has a Devil Rider and a foreground which has yet to be added.

UPDATE: Here are most, but not all of the drawings for the show to give the general gist of the story...




























4 comments:

bigvgrizwold said...

Great rendering John, I too am an Illustrator, well I should add that I am a late blooming Illustrator. I've been at Adobe Illustrator for six months now, "Yep" I'm still in training trying to go from pencil and paper to straight Digital has been a comedy of sorts. Now I've added another thing on my plate with this blogging situation, of course I don't know what the heck I'm doing, "yet" so if you have any pointers I'm all eyes...Cool Art work by the way, I like your style and envy your line work.When I figure this place out I will upload some of my stuff but for now you can take a look at my site at
http://www.zazzle.com/bigvgriz*
Let me know what you think.
The extra hard drive is a fantabulous idea it took me two, count'em two wicked crashes before I wised up losing all my drawings was a bummer.
I opted for the "MONSTER" external drive also but backing up is a pain, I've yacked enough and haven't even set my page up, I think I'm distracted on purpose, I've been reading and watching Illustrator tutorials most of the day and still I can't seem to tear myself away from this machine, I feel like I have a "Devil Rider" on my back driving me on and on.

John Welding said...

Hi Verlin,
Your Blog looks great. Regular updates seem to be the mantra of successful Bloggers.

Backing up may be a pain, but if you are making digital art for others, I've found the pain is worth it. (Had to reinstall Windows again, that was Friday night 3am out the window. But I didn't lose any work. Hurrah!

Jon Lycett-Smith said...

Good lord man, this Dragon is incredibly good.

I'm loving your latest stuff and the new look to the blog It's looking fantastic.

John Welding said...

Why, thank you Mr Lycett-Smith.