Tuesday, 28 October 2008

Comic Strip Production Process Part 2...


A4 pencil layout page. Based on a 16 panel grid and used for timing and placement of the speech bubble. A3 Pencilled Page. The layout pencils are scanned into my computer, enlarged and printed off at A3 size so I can trace them onto clean layout paper. After trial and error, I have found that less contrast makes the drawing easier to handle when making colour adjustments later on. Colour Flats. I scan the A3 penciled page back into the computer and create colour flats, here I concentrate on the main characters and fore ground, emotional tones effect the colours I choose here but are by no means the final colours that I may use. Once this is done I can then select elements within a panel to work on. This page took about two hours to do, very dull work indeed but worth it for later on. Finished Colour Drawings (Above Detail). Okay, I have left loads out on how I get to this stage but honestly, I don't have a tried a tested 'process'. The end result is achieved by throwing everything that the computer has at the page and making it more organic then processed. Saying that I do use the cut out and poster edge filters, the multiply, hue and overlay layer filters and the lens flare filter (which I don't want to talk about, I have to have some secrets) quite a bit.







1 comment:

bboykrillin said...

Wow, i love the process you use, it's so different from how i approach colour in Photoshop.