4 February 2013

Communities in Time Book Illustrations in Progress




It's February and I am designing and illustrating a book about community and local memories. The colour drawing above is from a tiny black and white photo of Fryston Colliery Workers in the 1950's.




The black and white lines are drawn freehand with a Pental Brush Pen on Japanese calligraphy paper which I have had laying around for the past five years. It's a lovely size, slightly bigger than A4 and takes the brush pen well, I am slowly working my way though the pack of 100 sheets. I would give more information but it was a present and all the packaging is in Japanese.

I like using the Brush Pen, although I find it difficult to draw outlines with I find it good for other things in drawing. The broken line or dry brush is known as breath in Chinese Brush Drawing and this is desirable in creating an image with energy, at least that's what I think I remember reading. The dry brush effect is also reflective of coal smudges, hard work and grit, something the people of the time would have been familiar with.

The calligraphy paper (this link is the closest I can get to what it might be...) is thin, around 40 - 50gsm and is more like traditional layout paper, translucent enough to redraw images through when things go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment