Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Artline Calligraphy Vs Artline ErgoLine Pens


This is a follow up to the last post where I had just ordered a box of the new Artline Ergoline Calligraphy Pen 2.0, I was expecting to have to wait longer with ordering them over Easter but they arrived in this mornings post. I was a bit giddy opening the box.

First off, I have to restate just how much I like drawing with the original white barrelled Artline Calligraphy Pen 2.0, comparing it to anything would be a challenge at this point. The chisel tip of both the Artline pen gives a lovely smooth line with a variety of line widths similar to that obtainable from a small brush with the control and feel of a marker type pen. Which makes it ideal for sketching and for more solid drawing work. I have used the pens for cartooning, sketching and for large scale public art commissions and although I find it a bit chunky it's also very nice to write with.

Why would I want anything else? The white barrelled 'old style' Artline Calligraphy Pen was wearing a sore patch on the middle finger of my drawing hand, I guess its not been designed to be held for hours on end where there is the annoying ridge for the pen cap. I let out an audible 'oooooh' when I saw the smooth barrel of the new black barrelled Ergoline Calligraphy Pen. The lid also fits on the body of the Ergoline when uncapped, the lack of which I found a irritating with the white barrelled version.

Now then, the ink quality in the Ergoline is disappointing when compared to the original Artline Calligraphy pen, which has a lovely 'solid' matt pigment black and more importantly waterproof ink. The ink in the Ergoline is non-waterproof and will create a grey wash when wet. Which is great if that's the effect you're after but say goodbye to using watercolour over the top of the line work. I have tried to show the effect of the ink wash effect in the sketch above, look at the colour quality of the yellow stars.

That's not going to stop me using the Ergoline Calligraphy Pen though. It is much more comfortable in the hand and is a great portable drawing tool for positive bold and expressive drawing. I am still a bit giddy from it all.

Artline Website


No comments: